Let's talk about graphics.

Over the last month, I have found myself spending the vast majority of my gaming time playing Saints Row 2, available for free as part of the Games with Gold program in July 2020. Even though I originally played the game over a decade ago, I'm having a lot of fun in single-player, with its captivating campaign and enjoyable side activities. Something that should bug me about playing a game from 2008 is the dated presentation; even for its time, Saints Row 2 had lackluster visuals and the frame rate would drop to very low numbers in intense scenes. However, I'm unfazed by these demerits which makes me wonder... How much value does superior graphical performance add to a gaming experience these days?

I won't doubt when I was younger, graphics meant a whole lot to me. When I first got an Xbox 360 in 2006, I was amazed by how realistic Project Gotham Racing 3 looked compared to games I used to play on the original Xbox. Seeing highly detailed vehicles and environments was just as pleasing to me as the gameplay and progression in the game; it truly felt like I was entering a new age in gaming with the stunning visuals. When I look at gameplay videos of Project Gotham Racing 3 & 4, I still think both games hold up very well in terms of graphics, despite how long ago they were released.


The reason I want to talk about my stance on graphics is that both Sony and Microsoft have presented a showcase of what we should expect from next-generation games, and I am left feeling cold a few days after. The Halo Infinite gameplay showcase sparked such a controversial reaction, the head of Xbox had to speak out. The problem wasn't that the game looked bad - it looked great even. It just doesn't represent a generational leap over current-gen systems. The most impressive graphics on offer were reserved to CGI trailers of games like Fable and Forza Motorsport, both of which are still at least a year away from release.

We have reached a point where generational leaps should not be determined by visuals, but other technological advancements which can be achieved with a powerful CPU and SSDs. Ever since the latter stage of the PS360 era, a stage was reached where games looked so good to the point chasing realistic graphics doesn't have the same appeal it once did. The Ratchet and Clank showcase had the right idea; being able to switch between levels instantly during gameplay is the sort of innovation that should be taking centre stage in these showcases. 

Graphics will still have to play an important role in these showcases, so what am I proposing? Instead of chasing photorealism, games should aim to create distinct art styles. Take Art Of Rally; it uses a low-poly graphics style and it is all the better for it. The game feels retro, distinctive and most importantly, the visuals won't age anywhere near as quickly as games using a conventional aesthetic. The art style Dontnod uses in their games is another art style I'd like to bring up; while games in the Life is Strange franchise do not aim to be ultra-realistic, these games use a blend of cinematics and mood-fitting music to bring the game to life in its own, distinct art style.


To summarise, I reckon we should place far less emphasis on how true-to-life the visuals of games are these days, we are experiencing far more diminishing returns these days and expecting massive leaps is only going to lead to disappointment. Instead, games should aim to create visually distinct art styles and make use of the other benefits next-gen consoles are set to make use of; faster loading times, adaptive worlds and better sound design, just to name a few. Gaming is poised to become smarter than ever over the next decade, so it is time to change where we set our priorities.

Comments

Popular Posts